A for "AVUS"
The AVUS (automobile road for traffic and practice) was opened in 1921 as the first racetrack in Germany. Although the A115 section beginning at Berliner Funkturm was made available to the public traffic later, car and bike races took place until the late 90s.
B for "Berlinale Film Festival"
Berlin international Film Festival, referred to as “Berlinale“, is one of the world’s most significant film festivals. Every year, around 400 films of different divisions and genres are presented. The most important Berlinale award is the Golden Bear (der Goldene Bär).
C for "Checkpoint Charlie"
Checkpoint Charlie in Friedrichstraße was one of the most well-known border crossings of the Berlin Wall. It connected the West Berlin district Kreuzberg and the East Berlin district Mitte between 1961 and 1990
D for "Döner"
The Döner Kebab as we know it was invented in Berlin. In 1972, Kadir Nurman was the first to put meat into flatbread. He sold it across Bahnhof Zoo.
E for "Eastside Gallery"
The East Side Gallery is a 1.3 kilometers long section of the former Berlin Wall. It was painted by 118 artists of 21 countries during Spring 1990 and is the longest open-air gallery worldwide.
F for"Fernsehturm (Berlin TV Tower)"
With its 368 meters, the Berlin TV Tower is Germany’s highest building. More than one million people have visited it so far, which makes it one of the most popular tourist attractions in Germany.
G for "Gendarmenmarkt"
The Gendarmenmarkt in the historical center of Berlin is considered as one of the most beautiful places in the city. It is surrounded by three monumental buildings: the German Cathedral, French Cathedral and Berlin Concert Hall.
H for "Humboldt Forum"
The Humboldt Forum has been under construction since 2012 at the site of the destroyed Berlin Castle. Its facades, except the east side, are going to display the historical face of the baroque city palace. Starting in 2019, the Forum will permanently show exhibitions about non-European culture.
I for "IHZ"
The Internationale Handelszentrum (IHZ) - International Trade Center (ITC) - was built in the 70s and modernized in the 90s. It is situated in Friedrichstraße, close to the train station of the same name. With its dark window facade and white structure’s frame, the 93 meters high office tower is a widely-visible landmark of Berlin
J for "Jannowitz Bridge"
The Jannowitz Bridge traverses the Spree and was originally built in 1822 by the cotton lord Christian August Jannowitz’s corporation. Today, there is a suburban railway, underground station and a steamer landing stage
K for "Kreuzberg"
Kreuzberg belongs to the Berlin district Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg and is known as the “in”-district of the capital. It is popular for its multicultural inhabitants and vivid cultural life.
L for "Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden)"
Pleasure Garden on Museum Island once belonged to Berlin City Palace. It is the oldest garden of the city.
M for"Museum Island"
Museum Island is located on the north side of Spree Island in the historical center of Berlin. The complex of the five significant museums Pergamonmuseum, Bode-Museum, Neues Museum, Alte Nationalgalerie, Altes Museum (Pergamon Museum, Bode-Museum, New Museum, Old National Gallery, Old Museum) is part of the UNESCO World Heritage
N wie "Nikolai-Quarter"
The Nikolai-Quarter is considered Berlin’s cradle and the oldest district of the city. During World War II, it was destroyed. For the celebration of Berlin’s 750th anniversary, it was reconstructed according to historical plans
O for "Olympic Stadium"
The Olympic Stadium was built for the Summer Olympics in 1936. It offers seats for 75.000 people and is therefore Berlin’s largest sport and event location. Today, the stadium is the home ground of Berlin’s soccer club Hertha BSC.
P for "Pariser Platz"
Until 1989, the square Pariser Platz at the eastside of Brandenburger Tor was part of the border between East and West Berlin. The surrounding buildings that were destroyed in World War II were reconstructed.
Q for "Q-Dorf"
The Q-Dorf, formerly known as Ku’dorf because of its close proximity to the Ku’damm, was one of the trendiest clubs in Berlin. Founded in 1975 as a beer village, the 2000 square meter event location was rebuilt to become Berlin’s metropolitan club after “The Change” in 1989. Q-Dorf was closed in 2015.
R for "Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz"
The Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz is a triangle square in the Scheunenviertel of Berlin-Mitte, where you find the popular theater Berlin Volksbühne. Built in the 1920s and named Bülowplatz, it had numerous names until 1969 when it was finally named after the socialist Rosa Luxemburg who got killed by the Nazis.
S for "Spree"
The Spree is an approximately 400 kilometers long tributary stream to the river Havel and runs 44 kilometers through Berlin. Therefore, it is the city’s longest river. In Berlin-Spandau, the Spree flows into the Havel.
T for "Tram"
Tramcars and streetcars are called Tram in Berlin and the city’s tram network is said to be one of the oldest and biggest worldwide. Today, there are more than 20 tram lines, especially in the eastern of Berlin. There, they add up to the underground network (U-Bahn).
U for "UFA"
The Universal Film Corporation is referred to as UFA. The German corporation took over the biggest German film studio Potsdam-Babelsberg in 1922. Many famous movies were made here, for example “The Blue Angel”, “Sonnenallee” or “The Bourne Ultimatum”. Today, it is still a film production location.
V for "Victoria Park"
The Victoria Park in Berlin’s district Kreuzberg is popular for the 66 meters high mountain of the same name. On its summit, there is a national landmark by Schinkel, which commemorates the victory against Napoleon. Additionally, visitors can enjoy a waterfall in Victoria Park - a realistic reproduction of the Hainfall in the Riesengebirge (Sudeten Mountains).
W for "Wannsee"
Strictly speaking, the Wannsee is no independent lake but a mere vast bay of the river Havel in the southwest of Berlin. Wannsee is not only the name of the waters but also of one part in the district Steglitz-Zehlendorf.
X for "X-Bar"
The X-Bar is one of the first cocktail bars, located at Helmholtzplatz in Berlin’s district Prenzlauer Berg. Since 1995, it has offered more than 300 different cocktails with many classics and numerous own creations.
Y for "Yorck bridges"
The Yorck bridges in Berlin are an approximately 500 meters long section of the Yorckstraße. They were once traversed by 45 railway bridges. The listed bridges are located in the district Schöneberg next to Kreuzberg.
Z for "Zitadelle Spandau (Spandau Citadel)"
The Spandau Citadel is one of the best-preserved Renaissance fortresses in Europe. It was built in the 16th century and used for military purposes. Today, it is the home to many cultural events and medieval festivals.